Saturday, September 10, 2011

TOP 7 KICK ASS Tips To Live By

Have you had days when you wake up and you tell yourself, "Fine, that's just about enough that I have had with being pushed around, feeling like a sorry loser in this cruel and unfair world.  Starting right this minute, I am going to start kicking asses!"?
Well just in case you have had enough and you want to manage your life and start steering back your ship in its proper course, I collected a couple of helpful quotes and tips to acquire that much needed "kick ass" attitude!

  • First, "When you are sorrowful look again in your heart, and you shall see that in truth you are weeping for that which has been your delight." - Kahlil Gibran.

Think about this: the more painful the experience, the stronger you get when you rise above it.  The sorrow actually enriches our life.  
When I look back at those past agonizing days, months; today, I am filled with inspiration when I realise that I no longer am in that sorry place any more. There's this complete feeling of renewal, an overwhelming feeling of triumph that sweeps through my soul.  Yes, I have moved on, and the more painful it was, the sweeter the joy I feel!  

  • Second,  "When I look back on all these worries, I remember the story of this old man who said on his deathbed that he had had a lot of trouble in his life, most of which had never happened." - Winston Churchill
Have you come to terms with the fact that most of the things we fear that will happen never really happen?  At most times, the monsters we have created are mainly creatures we concocted in our minds?  I used to think that being a "worrier" made me a better person in terms of ensuring perfection, until I have allowed this irrational compulsion to bog me down with panic and nervous attacks. Hell, I am NOT perfect! Why should I be? The more relaxed I was, the more productive and functional I became. I made myself a victim of my own " worry monsters"!  So I slew them all!
  • Third, "Life is really simple, but we insist in making it complicated." - Confucius Quote on the Simplicity of Life
Tell me, when was the last time you wasted precious moments "sweating the small stuff"? The insignificant few that have grown fangs because we allowed these trivial things to affect us. Our minds, great or small, love to think. It loves to make the rather plain and simple, oddly more and more complex we end up totally immobilized.  If we can cut up that huge baloney sandwich into bite size pieces, then we can eat it easier. Why should you even attempt to choke yourself by believing that the "devil is in the details"? Sure, but if they say, 'Mind Is Over Matter', if I don't mind, then, it doesn't really matter.  Logical? I would much rather focus on what is important and discard all that is totally useless and meaningless.
  • Fourth, "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are." - Anais Nin
This is one of my biggest victories.  I managed to unravel the mystery that the world can be viewed through many different perspectives and frames. I realised that I have initially misconstrued that my view of the world is how the world really is.  And if in the beginning I believed that I was right, I have learned that in someone else's viewpoint, I can be wrong. And with this insight, I have acquired the ability to reflect on what I could have missed, what other's might be seeing, thinking and feeling; and I have chosen to take the path of optimism, openness and flexibility. I have decided to embrace the world and life in all possible diversities, and I steadfastly believe that eventually, there is some point of convergence that can be built on. After all, the shortest distance between two points is a straight line. 
  • Fifth, "Ever tried.  Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better." - Samuel Beckett
I honestly believe that a healthy attitude to embracing the possibility of failure pulls out all the drama and wasted energies dwelling on it. I don't think that the measure of a person's success is gauged by the number of times he never failed, but rather in the number of times he rose above the murk and tried again.
A list of Abraham Lincoln’s Failures:
  • Lost job, 1832
  • Defeated for legislature, 1832
  • Failed in business, 1833
  • Elected to legislature, 1834
  • Sweetheart (Ann Rutledge) died, 1835
  • Had nervous breakdown, 1836
  • Defeated for Speaker, 1838
  • Defeated for nomination for Congress, 1843
  • Elected to Congress, 1846
  • Lost renomination, 1848
  • Rejected for Land Officer, 1849
  • Defeated for Senate, 1854
  • Defeated for nomination for Vice-President, 1856
  • Again defeated for Senate, 1858
  • Elected President, 1860

  • Sixth, "Nobody can be uncheered with a balloon." - Winnie the Pooh on Appreciating the Little Things
If you still think that life's greatest moments are defined by your biggest and grand accomplishments, then you are completely missing life.  "Sometimes the smallest things, take up the most room in your heart" as ascribed by Winnie the Pooh, and I am a believer in counting my life's simple blessings. I am sure you can have two minutes in a day to think about the little things you have that you may have completely taken for granted because, they are just there. For instance, food, family, friends, the weather, a home, a pet, clothes, a book, your health, a computer, a Blog.  Little things that are possibly staple in your daily life that you are blessed with. Somewhere, some people would kill to have a just a bit. Be grateful for all these things and take a few minutes to bask in appreciation for your blessings.

  • Seventh, "Twenty years from now you will be disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the things you did do.  So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain
Follow your heart. 'Nuff said.




9 comments:

  1. I feel rejuvenated. I think I'll head out today and start taking names and kicking arses. And then promptly taking the names of those people whose names I took and start kicking THEIR arses.

    Thank you for that, ma'am.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was great PB. Enlightening without being all preachy. And the Follow Your Heart cartoon is hilarious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A friend told me years ago, that the heart reacts while the mind creates. That the heart is never wrong. I guess it's akin to trusting in your instincts.

    The few times I've ignored my heart and listened to what my mind told me to do, ended in complete disater.
    I'm always happiest when I go with my heart.

    Just one of my tips to live by:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. --I've miss reading your posts, P! Loved this! Love Anais Nin's quote, of course, but Samual Beckett is my fave:
    "Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better." Superb. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. very nice .. u have a very interesting way of writing, this could've been boring but I enjoyed reading every line.
    thank u ;)
    9B

    ReplyDelete
  6. Some good points there. The fourth one has appealed to me from an early age and hopefully will always remain so.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for stopping by and making time to comment.
    And yes, I particularly love the FOLLOW YOUR HEART dictum.
    The heart is never wrong, and even if it is, you can choose to heal and regenerate itself once broken. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. i keep that abe lincoln history in my office. i see it every day.

    it reminds me to keep trying.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this, PB. My favorite quote is "life is really simple, but we like to make it complicated" - oh so true. I always look forward to your new witty and profound posts, my dear, thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead, will Blog for comments.